When you add products to you Magento Store, you are be given the option of creating a Simple Product , Grouped Product, Configurable Product, Virtual Product, Bundle Product or Downloadable Product. A simple product has no variables and is only sold in one type. A Configurable Product has variants like color, size etc.
A configurable product could be anything which has a variation a user can choose on the front end — for example a T-shirt which comes in several different sizes and colours. Magento treats a configurable product as a collection of simple products: each variation has its own SKU and inventory listing.
Creating a Configurable Product
There are a few steps how to create a configurable:
- Adding attributes. These will be configurable by the user – for our example they will be size and colour.
- Adding these attributes to the attribute set — for our example, we’ll call it clothing.
- Creating a new configurable product, and add the clothing attribute set.
- Creating an individual simple product for each variant of the configurable product.
1. Create the attributes
In the Magento Admin Area go to Catalog->Attributes->Manage attributes and click on Add New Attribute. You will end up in the screen below.
You will have to put in the following values:
- Attribute Code: color, size etc.
- Scope: Global
- Catalog Input Type for Store Owner - Dropdown
- Unique Value: No
- Values Required: No
- Input Validation for Store Owner: None
- Apply To: All Product Types.
- Use To Create Configurable Product: Yes (this option only appears is Input type is set correctly to dropdown)
Next, in the left hand menu, select Manage Label/Options to begin choosing the different values for the attributes. For instance for the color label it could look like this: